Friday, March 20, 2015

Bar stool makeover



If you've ever shopped for quality bar stools, you know how expensive they can be. That's when Craigslist comes to the rescue! I got a pair of sturdy, solid wood, swivel bar stools for $100 ($50 each). You know what else is awesome about Craigslist? No taxes!


While it makes me sad to paint over wood, the oak color just wasn't doing it for me. Plus, I had a garage sale table on hand that I wanted to match and the only way was to paint everything the same color. This project cost me about $115 total. A quality bar stool can cost well over $200 so I'd say this was a decent deal!

Here are the before pictures:




The table was actually white before I painted it gold to match an upstairs bedroom. Now it's going back to white. Go figure.

I did not sand or prime before painting this time since I was going for the imperfect antique effect. If you want a perfect finish with no flaws, you'll need to lightly sand and add a primer.


I tried to cover the non-removable cushion with plastic and painters tape, but it just got in the way. I used a quality trim brush and painted around (very slowly) instead.





After two coats of antique white paint

Once you're done painting the main color, it's time to distress. I used a hand sander and lightly went over the corners and detailed areas.





What a monkey. He seriously loves these chairs.

After that, brush or wipe on the decorative glaze and then wipe the excess off. I used Rust-Oleum Java Brown Decorative Glaze. 

Apparently I forgot to take pictures of this process so click here, here, here, here, and here for other projects I've used this on. Can you tell I like to glaze stuff?

Here are the after pictures:

I think they go well with our barnwood ceiling! Click here to learn more about the ceiling.


I was going to put some wine in the glasses, but it was 6 a.m. when I was taking these. Although it is a Friday...








Here's a pic of the entire bar area. Keep in mind it's still a work in progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment