Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Aspirin for plants

Do you have your veggies and flowers planted for the season? I'm pretty much done and am just patiently waiting for them to grow. I've been reading about the benefits of spraying plants with aspirin (yes, aspirin!) and I might give it a try.

Image source here

Basically, you crush up one tablet of aspirin per gallon of water, put the solution in a spray bottle, and spray your plants every three weeks.

Below are some brief sentences explaining the benefits. Click the source for the whole articles.

"A crushed aspirin in water (one pill to one gallon) helps plants to fight infection and stay alive during traumatic plant experiences like transplanting, cutting, cloning, or zombie attacks." - Instructables

"Not only were the aspirin treated plants healthier, they produced better than those plants treated with a commercial bio stimulant. The plants grew larger and produced more than in the control beds." - The National Gardening Association 

"In a number of studies, plants given aspirin water exhibited many of these protective responses. Treated plants grew faster and were better able to fend off pests and diseases than their untreated counterparts." - Ann's Organic Garden

"I've recommended it to just about everybody. The people who've tried it, that is, people who grow from oats to orchids, have found that plants do remarkably better when given small amounts of aspirin water. I've tried it on my houseplants, and it does really well. Plants are more vigorous and I'm having fewer problems with aphids and the typical things that can build up on houseplants over the winter." - Plantea

Have any of you tried this? If you have, please share!

If you're a newbie like me, do some additional research before attempting this. I'd hate for your plants to die because of something I recommended! :/

No comments:

Post a Comment