Tuesday, October 7, 2014

DIY boxwood wreath



So boxwood decorations seem to be all the rage these days, but they can be kind of pricey! Here are some examples:

Target Wreath - $44.99
Target Mini Boxwood Ball - $129.99
Pier 1 Boxwood Cone Topiaries - $159.99-$199.99
Wayfair Square Boxwood Wreath - $46.99

I ran to JoAnn's Fabric yesterday and found the following boxwood wreath.


 

If you can't tell in the picture, it is small, sparse, and cheap looking. And it's still $29.99. Madness! There are a lot of boxwood wreath tutorials online so I decided to make my own. Here are the supplies I used:

Straw wreath - These are usually less than $5 at a craft store. You could also use foam or a grapevine wreath. Remember to bring a coupon! Thank you to my mother-in-law who had a stack of straw wreaths and gave me one. I would recommend using a grapevine wreath if you're going to buy one. I'll explain below.

Boxwood - If you have a boxwood shrub, you can do this project super cheap by using clippings from it. For an example, click here. I unfortunately do not so I bought two boxwood garlands instead.

String or wire - You'll use this to tie the boxwood to the wreath. Green wire would be a good choice.

Burlap or ribbon of choice - This is used to wrap the wreath if necessary and to hang it.


Straw wreaths are super messy so you almost have to leave the plastic on them. I didn't want the plastic to show through so I wrapped the wreath in burlap ribbon. Above I recommend using a grapevine wreath if you're buying new because it's pretty and would look fine not being wrapped.


I tried to use fishing line to tie at first, but it was too slippery. I pulled some of my burlap ribbon apart and used strings from that instead. If you're buying something, I recommend using green wire.

Wrap the garland around the wreath and tie it in place. I used two 6' pieces of garland.


Before pic. This is where I decided to hang it. My husband built the shelf and framed the mirror. It's in a hallway in our home.

Used a piece of burlap ribbon and nailed it to the top.

Here is the after. I think the wreath really adds a little somethin somethin!





See what I mean about needing to wrap the wreath if it's straw or foam? The mirror makes the backside extra noticeable.


Click here if you want to see my barnwood shelf tutorial. I think I completely forgot to do a tutorial on framing the mirror with barnwood. It's quite easy, but maybe I'll do a post on it. It'd be somewhat similar to my post on framing a bathroom mirror.

This project cost me right around $20. If you can find a better sale on boxwood garland or use free boxwood from a bush, you could make this for even less!



No comments:

Post a Comment