Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tomato cage Christmas tree

My mother-in-law has this cute Christmas tree in her entryway. At first glance, I never would have guessed she made it out of a tomato cage! I've seen people wrap only lights around tomato cages and put them outdoors, but I had not seen this done before.


It looks fairly simple. Flip the cage so the bottom is now the top. Tie the four top stakes together (I think a couple thick rubber bands would work). Then decorate!


She used burlap ribbon, garland, mesh ribbon, beads, lights, and ornaments. I'm sure you could keep wrapping the garland and ribbon to the bottom if you don't like the cage showing. Have some long twist ties on hand in case you need to secure the garland, etc.

Here are some other ways people have decorated their tomato cages:



Sow & Dipity
Home Depot Christmas Craft Ideas
Lucy Designs Online
My Everchanging Garden
Since I haven't done this YET, here are some tutorials that may be helpful:

DIY Showoff
My Soulful Home
Sew Stylish Boutique

Keep this project in mind as you shop for discounted decorations after the holidays! This might even be a cute gift idea! I want to make one for every room in my house. They'll all have different colors and themes. My husband is rolling his eyes right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment