|Apparently this is the only before picture I took. Fail.|
And turned it into this for my husband's man cave. Go Huskers!
I grabbed that crummy silver picture because I thought it was about the size of a Husker poster my husband needed framed. Turns out I was wrong. I still wanted to do something Huskerish (I know that's not a word, but just go with it!) for the basement so I gathered up my scrap material and started brain storming.
I decided to spray paint the frame black. I used Rust-Oleum's Flat Black Primer and then their Gloss Protective Enamel in Black.
I then covered the cardboard backing with black polka dot fabric that I bought a long time ago and just had laying around. I used hot glue because staples might have gone through to the front side.
The hardest part was making a template for the Husker N. I found an official N by googling it. I then cut it directly in half in photoshop. I took each half and expanded it as far as I could in an 11x14" Microsoft Word document. I printed off each side of the N and then cut and taped it together.
I then glued that N onto white fabric using very small dots of glue in each corner. Do not use too much!
I cut the fabric around the outline of the N.
Then took off the paper template and measured to make sure the N was centered on the background. I then glued it down.
Since the edges are rough and uneven, it's important to outline the letter with another fabric. I used red ribbon from JoAnn's Fabric. It was $2.99 for the spool and I used a 50% off coupon to cut that price in half.
Cut section by section and use a little hot glue on each corner. Here is the final result:
I like the different textures of the fabric. It's not perfect, but it was a good way to use up items I had on hand. My only cost was for the ribbon so I spent about $1.50 on this. Anyone can do this with their own favorite team's colors and logo! I'm anxious to finish our basement so we have somewhere to hang it.